Having an experienced Reno DUI defense attorney on your side can make a huge difference in your case. If you are caught driving under the influence of drugs in Reno, the consequences are just as serious as a DUI charge.
Depending on the drug, you need not have taken it recently; traces of it may merely be in your system and register on a blood test. A misdemeanor conviction on your record can do substantial damage to your life and future. Don't let one mistake destroy everything.
Our Reno criminal defense lawyer at the Law Offices of Kenneth A. Stover has more than 25 years of experience in the criminal justice system. We are prepared to stand with you. Request a free consultation at (775) 502-1575.
Know What to Expect in the Event of an Arrest
A DUI can change your life. Our goal as your DUI defense team is to help you get the best possible results for your case. Many factors are considered when charging a DUI, and we can evaluate your case to determine the best way to proceed.
- A key point in your case will revolve around a standard of impairment, meaning:
- How impaired were you at the time of the incident? Regardless of drug type in your system, if your reaction time has been compromised, an arrest is likely.
- This standard is most harsh for marijuana users. If you are pulled over and have 2 nanograms, that's two-billionths of a gram, of THC in your system, you are legally considered impaired and can be arrested.
- For other illegal drugs, such as heroin, PCP and LSD, the standard is much higher. Sadly, all three require a fatal overdose to be per se DUI.
- Chemical testing is used to establish impairment in a DUI drug case.
If you are arrested, your driver's license won't be suspended until the tests come back. Without a positive result, your arresting officer and the court has no way of proving whether or not the drug was in your system at the time of the arrest.
You Have Options For Your DUI Defense
Our attorney is rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell®. This rating is evidence of our consistently personalized attention and high standard of achieving the best possible results. We know your options and are able to customize your defense to suit your goals.
There are many procedural tactics to use in any DUI case. After our initial consultation, we evaluate your case and review the evidence the prosecution has gathered against you. Whenever possible, we look for alternatives and diversion programs to help avoid or reduce charges. Occasionally, in the case of an addiction, the court looks favorably upon an individual's willingness to receive treatment. If that is not an effective strategy in your case, we are more than capable of taking your case to court.
Don't let this mistake ruin your life. Having a proactive criminal defense attorney on your side can completely define your future. Contact the Law Offices of Kenneth A. Stover for quick access to legal counsel in the state of Nevada. Our DUI defense lawyer can be reached at (775) 502-1575.