Schedule a Free Consultation

woods background image

We Want to Make Your Bad Situation Better

What Do You Do If Your Child Gets a DUI?

One of a parent’s worst fears is getting a call late at night that their child is in jail and needs to be bailed out. Most states have severe laws designed to prevent people under the age of 21 from driving drunk more than ones. These zero-tolerance rules can apply some serious punishments to anyone underage who is found with any trace of alcohol in their blood. If you’re a parent, there are a few things you can do on behalf of your child to ensure his or her future isn’t ruined by an underage DUI conviction.

If your child calls you after being arrested, don’t make him or her explain what happened. The less your child says out loud, the less can be used against him in court later because he or she is likely calling form a booking desk, a holding cell, or standing in front of a police officer. What your child says to you can be used in determining the outcome of the case if he or she is overheard.

You need to find out what the charge is and if bond has been set; if it hasn’t been set, find out when it will be. Explain that he or she can tell you everything later, and encourage your child not to waive their right to remain silent or to legal counsel.

Once you know how much the bail is, get your child out of there. Then, hire the best lawyer possible to represent your child, preferably one that focuses on criminal defense in particular. The sooner you do this, the better; if your child fails to request an administrative license suspension hearing within 10 business days of their arrest, or loses the hearing, he or she will lose the right to drive for many months. The attorney should be able to represent your child in both the criminal case and the administrative hearing.

You might be caught off guard when this happens, but now you will be armed with the knowledge of what to do on your child’s behalf. Talk to our skilled Reno DUI attorney about your child’s case. Attorney Ken Stover has more than 20 years of legal experience to offer, and he is dedicated to defending the rights and freedom of his clients.

Contact us at (775) 502-1575 or fill out our online form to schedule a free case consultation today.